The UK PlayStation 5 launch is one of the decade’s most talked about marketing activations, winning awards across a range of creative and marketing disciplines.
Launching the PS5 in the same month as competitor console, the Xbox Series X/S, meant that our activations had to win over core gamers and mass consumers alike to generate consumer preference.
We had to deliver the right balance of convincing committed gamers to choose PlayStation whilst signalling to the wider market that the brand was the major player in the console space.
So during UK launch week, we took the London Underground sign and paired it with PlayStation’s brand iconography.
Oxford Circus Tube roundels above and below ground were reimagined to feature the four PlayStation shapes.
Four other London “Punderground” stations were taken over by games:
• Mile End to Miles End in a nod to Marvel’s Spider-Man
• Lancaster Gate to Ratchet and Clankaster Gate
• Seven Sisters to Gran Turismo 7 Sisters
• West Ham to Horizon Forbidden West Ham
The dramatic images captured the importance of the launch and grabbed media and consumer attention.
960million media impressions – 106 million in first 24 hours, trended on twitter and lead story on reddit. The image reveal on owned channels generated 9million organic impressions alone.
PlayStation had the most successful UK console launch of all time achieving a 69% market share.
- WINNER - PRmoment Awards 2021 – Integrated Communications Campaign of the Year
- WINNER - PRmoment Awards 2021 – Best Use of Creativity
- WINNER - SABRE Awards EMEA 2021 – Best In Live Events
- WINNER - SABRE Awards EMEA 2021 – Consumer Electronics
- WINNER - The Drum PR Awards 2021 – Music & Entertainment
- WINNER - PRCA National Awards 2021 – Consumer Technology
- WINNER - PRCA National Awards 2021 – Best Use of Research, Planning and Evaluation
- SILVER - PRmoment Awards 2021 - Consumer PR Campaign of the Year
- HIGHLY COMMENDED - PR Week Awards 2021 - Best Integrated Campaign
- HIGHLY COMMENDED - PRCA National Awards 2021 - Consumer
- HIGHLY COMMENDED - The Drum PR Awards 2021 - Best Event, Stunt or Promotional Activation
- FINALIST - The Drum PR Awards 2021 - Consumer Products or Services
- FINALIST - PR Week Awards 2021 - Technology
- FINALIST - PR Week Awards 2021 - Best PR Event
- FINALIST - CIPR Excellence Awards 2021 - Best Event
- FINALIST - CIPR Excellence Awards 2021 - Consumer Relations Campaign
- FINALIST - CIPR Excellence Awards 2021 - Arts, Culture, Sport or Entertainment
- FINALIST - CIPR Excellence Awards 2021 - Integrated Campaign
- FINALIST - PRmoment Awards 2021 - Community Engagement Campaign of the Year
- FINALIST - PRmoment Awards 2021 - Culture, Media, Sport & Travel Marketing Communications Campaign of the Year
- FINALIST - PRmoment Awards 2021 - Innovation in Public Relations Awards
- FINALIST - PRmoment Awards 2021 - Stunt of the Year
Our amazing team deliver incredible results across a variety of specialist services.