The UK PlayStation 5 launch is one of the decade’s most talked about marketing activations, winning awards across a range of creative and marketing disciplines.
Launching the PS5 in the same month as competitor console, the Xbox Series X/S, meant that our activations had to win over core gamers and mass consumers alike to generate consumer preference.
We had to deliver the right balance of convincing committed gamers to choose PlayStation whilst signalling to the wider market that the brand was the major player in the console space.
So during UK launch week, we took the London Underground sign and paired it with PlayStation’s brand iconography.
Oxford Circus Tube roundels above and below ground were reimagined to feature the four PlayStation shapes.
Four other London “Punderground” stations were taken over by games:
• Mile End to Miles End in a nod to Marvel’s Spider-Man
• Lancaster Gate to Ratchet and Clankaster Gate
• Seven Sisters to Gran Turismo 7 Sisters
• West Ham to Horizon Forbidden West Ham
The dramatic images captured the importance of the launch and grabbed media and consumer attention.
960million media impressions – 106 million in first 24 hours, trended on twitter and lead story on reddit. The image reveal on owned channels generated 9million organic impressions alone.
PlayStation had the most successful UK console launch of all time achieving a 69% market share.
- WINNER - PRmoment Awards – Integrated Communications Campaign of the Year
- WINNER - PRmoment Awards – Best Use of Creativity
- WINNER - SABRE Awards EMEA – Best In Live Events
- WINNER - SABRE Awards EMEA – Consumer Electronics
- WINNER - The Drum PR Awards – Music & Entertainment
- WINNER - PRCA National Awards – Consumer Technology
- WINNER - PRCA National Awards – Best Use of Research, Planning and Evaluation
Our amazing team deliver incredible results across a variety of specialist services.